The master’s degree offers the possibility of taking elective credits by carrying out curricular external academic practices during the second semester.
The master’s internship offer is very attractive for students thanks to the collaboration agreements that the UPM maintains with hospitals and companies in the biomedical engineering sector. Some examples of them are the following:
Below are the requirements of these practices and the procedure to perform them.
The following agreements must be established:
- Framework Education Cooperation Agreement: Any internship must be regulated by a Framework Education Cooperation Agreement signed, before its beginning, between the UPM and the entity where you are going to carry them out.
- Individual Educational Cooperation Agreement: it will be generated as a development of the Framework Agreement and is intended to protect each student and specific practice. It contains, among other aspects, the training project, the educational objectives, the activities to be developed and the recognition of credits by the university.
Credits to recognize
The number of ECTS credits that the student can request and recognize is 3, 6 or 9, always having the equivalence that 1 ECTS credit is equivalent to 30 hours of activity.
Professional and academic tutors
Given the formative nature of these practices, these two figures are necessary for the formalization of the Individual Educational Cooperation Agreement and in no case can they coincide.
- The professional tutor is appointed by the collaborating entity, it will be a professional with sufficient knowledge and experience to carry out the guardianship.
- The academic tutor will be a professor of the School and his function is to supervise the practices. In the case of not having a tutor, the Internship Office will assign you one related to the subject of the same.
Duration of the internship
- Period: they must be within the second semester of the academic year.
- Weekly dedication: to ensure that the practices are compatible with the academic activity, the maximum number of hours to be carried out will be 25 hours per week (5 hours per day). It can be up to 35 hours per week (7 hours per day) during the holiday period or if you only need to complete the TFM.
Amount of the financial grants
At ETSIT, study financial grants is compulsory (except for curricular practices that are carried out exclusively in Public Hospitals).
The minimum amounts approved by the UPM External Academic Practices Commission (07/04/2019) for the 2019/20 academic year are, for Master students:
- up to 25 h per week -> €600 per month
- up to 30 h per week -> €700 per month
- up to 35 h per week -> €800 per month
- The insurance will cover the risks derived from the development of the practices.
- The student must manage the National Mobility insurance at the School Secretary and also, in certain practices (it will be indicated in the Agreement), the Special Contingencies insurance.